Newport PTSA Grant Committee
Grant Request Process
One of the Newport PTSA goals is to support teachers and faculty with the classroom and curriculum costs that are not otherwise covered (ignored by state funding, district funds, BSF grants, etc.).
To secure funds for this purpose we accept donations from parents attending curriculum night. We rely on you, the teachers, to help call attention to this that night. Help us help you by participating!
Once we know the total amounts of funds raised, plus any funds remaining from a prior year we have the total amount available that can be granted.
We only consider requests for expenses that support NHS classes. Activities in the school are considered to be self-sustaining and not funded directly by the Newport PTSA.
Some of the criteria considered by our Grant Review Committee include:
- Does the request directly relate to curriculum?
- What is the school or department need for assistance? Are the needs unfunded at the district or school level?
- Are alternate sources of funds available if grant not awarded?
- Does it involve students in “hands-on” activities?
- What on going benefits will be derived (i.e. equipment that can be used again year after year, or programs that can be taught or used again by other teachers in future years)
- What does it cost? Is there a more efficient way to accomplish the request?
- Are we satisfied that we have helped a diversity of departments?
Here is the general grant process that we’d like to follow: (all digital “paper-less” process”)
1. Complete word version of grant application found here or the online Grant Form NHS Grant Form
2. If you have questions email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. If required, submit any additional documentation (pdf) to mailto:email@example.com.
4. The deadline for the Spring round of grant applications is January 16, 2018 @11:59pm . Decision of Board of Directors will be announced on February 9, 2018.
Approval Process and Notification
1. The Grant Committee will review the first round of grants and make their recommendation to the Newport PTSA Board of Directors at the next scheduled meeting after the deadline, or a special meeting called for that purpose.
2. Additional questions might be asked if there is a need to find out more information.
3. We do not plan on spending all the Classroom Bucks in the first round of grants, so some projects may need to be deferred until the second semester.
4. The decision will be communicated to you, along with the details of how expenses or reimbursements are processed, and the date by which the grant funds need to be used.
5. In general, grants approved in the Fall need to be used by March 15th of the succeeding year and grants approved in the Spring by June 15th of the same year.